Steven Whitehead works in a supermarket called Morrison’s. He lives in Burnley, England where he is raising his daughter and three sons! Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about Steven and his family!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- I knew I was at the right age and in a secure job to have a child. I was excited to know I was going to have a mini-me running rings around me.
- When you knew you were going to be a father, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- I didn’t turn to anyone apart from my partner. She knew I couldn’t wait to be a dad and I was there through everything (scans, tests etc).
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- They’d say I’m strict but fair. I don’t take sides and take a laid-back approach to siblings arguing. They know I mean business.
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- I’d say bring up 3 kids that ain’t my blood knowing all their dads don’t want anything to do with them but I don’t see myself as a stepdad I’m the guy the stepped up and stepped in.
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- I couldn’t change anything. Life as a father is about taking each day as it comes. Letting my kids be kids. Making memories together and telling them I love them every day.
- What do you do for fun with your children?
- We like foresting into woods on long walks with a picnic to a big lake. Letting the kids have fun in the mud and water.
- What advice would you give to other dads?
- Don’t stress no matter how much something annoys you. Kids are going to be kids.
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- I work all week and like to spend time with my misses and friends. It’s nice to have close family that’s willing to look after my kids so that we can have some alone time.
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- The moment my son was born I’ve never loved or cared about anything as much until he was looking up at me just minutes old, scanning my face as I look deep into his eyes. All I was thinking was OMG I’ve finally got to meet the little fella I’ve felt kick move and seen on scans. This is my boy.
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.