George Ide works with the Census and is studying to be a teacher. He lives in Benton City, WA where he is raising his daughter and son. Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about George and his family!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- I was really excited and nearly cried when I found out that I was to have a daughter.
- When you knew you were going to be a father of a daughter, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- My father, who has 2 daughters.
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- Probably not very well, as they don’t really talk.
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- Either being separated post divorce or having 2 developmentally delayed kids.
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- Who my kids mother is, honestly.
- What do you do for fun with your daughter(s)?
- We go to the park, or zoo, or she gets to see my parents puppies (born about 6 weeks ago).
- What advice would you give to other dads with daughters?
- The most important thing is that you be there and do the best you can. Learn from your mistakes and you’ll be okay.
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- My kids are priority number 1, but I still do the stuff I need to do to give the kids what they need in life.
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- My daughter recently got to see a hippopotamus up close, watching her reaction was awesome.
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.