Nick Castro works as a Housekeeping/Floor Tech at a hospital in the COVID areas. He lives in El Paso, Texas. He has a 19 year old daughter and a daughter that passed away. Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about Nick and his family!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- Tremendously excited with a mixture of terrified I would fail terribly yet overwhelmed with the though I would be a “Dad” to a little human I helped create.
- When you knew you were going to be a father of a daughter, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- Mom when I needed to. She raised me and my sister solo being paraplegic during all of it. I had some pretty solid upbringing.
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- The one to go to to escape. The bodyguard and probably the one that gets on her nerves (she is 19) about school work.
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- Having lost my other Daughter so young, trying not to be so overprotective of her. She is an adult now however, I can’t turn off the constant eye on her.
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- Looking back what would I change would be difficult. It is a learning experience for both of us in that she is new to the world and I was new to being a Dad. No instructions were included and it is and will continue to be a wonderful journey.
- What do you do for fun with your daughter(s)?
- Music #1. I got her into the keys early and she ended up in adoration with the cello like me.
- What advice would you give to other dads with daughters?
- Savor every moment and love/support them. Be their everything. The one that checks for things under the bed. The one that wipes their tears. The punching bag when they need that outlet. The ear to listen to all they say and eyes to view their artwork.
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- Fatherhood is my only purpose. There is no outside life other than grocery shopping and work. She is that brilliant star that I orbit.
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- Every breath I exist in her presence is memorable. Whether a debate or just watching something together. If I were to detail the top 2 it would be the moment she was born and my heart melted. 1.) Witnessing this beautiful creation I was so eager to meet. Life changing. 2.) One morning she (age 8) woke me up with breakfast. A golden perfectly cooked cheese omelette, toast and my coffee (a coca cola). All done alone since I taught her to cook young <3
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.