Mike Hammer is a Pastor and lives in Dillsburg, PA where he is raising three daughters! Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about Mike and his daughters!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- It took us a while to get pregnant so it was a relief, then tears, then weighty!
- When you knew you were going to be a father of a daughter, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- Bought a book called Dads and Daughters that really helped me gain perspective.
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- Consistent, giving, committed, Spiritual role model, sometimes corny!
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- Understanding and appropriately dealing with the emotions of my girls, and tuning in to their unique personalities and needs.
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- A few more memorable dates with each of them.
- What do you do for fun with your daughter(s)?
- Hot tub time was a family favorite, monthly family night-special meal/object lesson/board games.
- What advice would you give to other dads with daughters?
- Begin the journey of healing from your own wounds so you don’t project them on to your daughters/spouse. Walk forgiven from your past and forgive others sincerely and often.
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- My relationship with Jesus is first, wife second, kids third, home fourth, church fifth. I told the church, if you don’t mind being 5th on my list, then I’ll be your pastor! Healthy home, healthy pastor, healthy church!
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- Our frequent family talks when we all are brought to tears as we work through family and personal issues together!
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.