Derek Hansen is Security Officer and lives in Washington State where he is raising his daughter and son! Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about Steve and his family!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- I was elated! We planned the birth of our daughter & got pregnant very quickly, so I was overjoyed!
- When you knew you were going to be a father of a daughter, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- My fiancée (who’s now my wife)!
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- Funny & caring!
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- Practicing patience! I’m a work in progress. Each day presents challenges. Being a Dad is the best & growing/learning/improving is what makes a great Dad!
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- I’m still newbie, but many people told me to treasure each moment because they grow up way too fast, which I’ve found to be true!
- What do you do for fun with your daughter(s)?
- I love to make her laugh & smile! I’m very good at it haha! But she’s only 17 weeks old!
- What advice would you give to other dads with daughters?
- Being present (not perfect) & fully involved is what makes a great Dad! Try your best & then do better tomorrow! A daughter needs a dad to be the standard against which she will judge all men. Lead by example. It’s a huge undertaking & responsibility, but totally worth it for your princess!
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- With Covid-19, it’s been pretty easy! My kids are my world & I’m blessed to have the best wife & mother of our children!
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- Every memory & experience has been wonderful so far! My daughter is only 17 weeks old, so I’m just enjoying this amazing journey & taking it all in, one moment at a time!
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.