David Black works at Verizon. He lives in Keller, Texas where he is raising his daughter and son! Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about David and his family!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- I cried and hugged my wife. All I ever wanted was to be a dad.
- When you knew you were going to be a father, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- I turned to my mother, aunts, and extended friends and family for advice.
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- Absolutely crazy and always there for us.
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- Instilling core values and ensuring I am walking the walk as they are observing everything I do.
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- Honestly, I would have worked and traveled less so I could be home more with the kids.
- What do you do for fun with your children?
- We can do anything and have fun together. We have fun in the car, at an amusement park, on the patio, in the house, and everywhere. I am always pranking the kids and they get me back every once in a while. Life is too short so have fun.
- What advice would you give to other dads?
- Spend time and really listen to your kids. They are so smart and when you find common ground on something, celebrate it. Aside from that, educate yourself on technology in the house so you can monitor/manage it accordingly. As technology has evolved, so has parenting and a digital inspection is needed at least once a quarter if not monthly.
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- Both of my kids are in sports so we have really connected well with the other families. My wife and I go out on date nights to ensure we’re staying focused on each other and we also incorporate the kids now that they are slightly older.
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- Roadtrips, vacations, broken ankles, soccer tournaments, celebrating success(report cards, winning games, etc), and watching movies together. I cherish every moment I can with the kids.
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.