Joe Kilpatrick works as an operator in Lamar, Colorado and raising 2 daughters and a son. Every Dad of the Week answers the following questions, read on to learn more about Joe and his children!
- What was your first reaction when you found out that you were going to be a father?
- When you knew you were going to be a father of a daughter, who or where did you turn to for advice?
- I didn’t have anybody, I kinda figured it out as I went along.
- How would your kids describe you as a dad?
- I hope they think of me as the rock that I need them.
- What has been the largest challenge you have had in being a father?
- I recently gained full custody of my oldest daughter after a four year battle with a women who didn’t want nothing more then a tax deduction, my wife through this whole time has been very supportive and more then a mother then she has ever gotten to know. I recently came home from work one morning and found my almost 11 year old daughter snuggled alongside my wife, that’s when I knew I made the right choice.
- Looking back on your life as a father, what would you change if you could?
- I would of course make more time for my family, but isn’t that what we would all say? The short answer to that would be I wouldn’t change anything, I’ve done what needed to be done to provide for my family, I havn’t done anything illegal and can still hold my head up as a hard working dad. It’s always hard but the best things in life aren’t easy.
- What do you do for fun with your daughter(s)?
- Usually when we get time we are just together and we make the best of even the boring times.
- What advice would you give to other dads with daughters?
- Everyone is different, and every kid is different, find what works for you and run with it.
- How have you come to balance fatherhood and outside life?
- Making money is a necessary evil that everyone goes through, like it or not you cant have a life without money. The only thing more rewarding then getting your Bill’s paid and putting a roof over your family’s head is the fact that they don’t know the sacrifices you go through to accomplish those things.
- What have been the most memorable experiences that you have had thus far as a father?
- Everyday is a new experience, so far the very best thing for me is just being able to see it for myself.
If you’d like to be spotlighted in the weeks ahead, please fill out this form.